Monday, June 7, 2010

Have Your Cake...

To "have your cake and eat it too" can be simply translated into, "you can't always have it both ways," as I understand it.

 As I type this, I am sitting at my computer desk, wondering about what life has in store for me.  What am I to become, what will I accomplish?

I want so many things in this life.  I want to lead a guild in WoW, but I also want to follow a leader.  I want to be a teacher, or a psychologist, but I also want to be a small business owner.  I want to live in America, but I also want to live here in Australia.  So many choices, so many appetizing looking slices of cake, I'm not sure which to choose.



This has gotten me thinking.  Any one decision I make will affect me for the rest of my life.  When I look back to my past, when I remember that 17 year old girl graduating from High School, I notice a few things.  At that time, I had no idea what I wanted in life. I didn't expect to start playing a MMORPG, and I certainly didn't expect to fall for that mage I met in the Arathi Highlands. I had no idea that I would someday fly off to another country, much less come to live in it.

If I hadn't fallen for William those years ago, I wouldn't be here in Australia.  If I hadn't switched realms to play on Frostmane US, I wouldn't have met him in the first place.  If I hadn't asked for a copy of the 10-day free trial to WoW from K., I wouldn't have started playing.  If I hadn't tried out for color guard in 11th grade, I wouldn't have met K.  If I hadn't become close friends with this person and that person, I wouldn't have done this or that. It goes on.

One decision influences so many other outcomes in life.  It is only now that I have come to realize this.  And I feel completely and utterly ridiculous for only figuring this out now.

What is the next step in my life?  What decision will I make, and what outcomes will it produce? If I choose to stay in Australia, I will most likely never see my friends and family again.  But if I choose to move to the US, I will likely never see William's family again.  If we have kids earlier than expected, I'll probably never have my business. But if I choose to study, will I have kids too late?

It's a lot to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment