Saturday, November 6, 2010

Viruses SUCK

Urrrgh
Yeah.... so I decided to grab a trial of a program from a website that I'd trusted for years and years... Turns out it was a horrible, HORRIBLE idea.

I downloaded the program with ease, but when I opened it, I noticed that it had some funky symbols going on in areas.  Irritated, and clearly not paying attention, I closed it and forgot about it.

Later that evening I had some fun little things pop up. A MSN Messenger-like window popped up in the corner of my computer screen, and suddenly a bunch of warnings came up.  "Do you want to update Adobe?" "Virus alert!" etc, etc.

Freaking out, I turned the computer off and unplugged it from the network.  Seems I did that just in time.  I backed up a bunch of my photos and files and stuff on my external hard drive... Unsurprisingly, the virus jumped onto my hard drive and decided to crap all over that.  We grabbed everything we could, and Husband used some wonderful AVG virus scanner magic on it... Worked like a charm, everything is well on the external, and all my photos were saved.  Thank goodness.

We're in the process of reinstalling Windows on my computer, after completely wiping everything before... after that I'm gonna grab AVG and scan like crazy so long as I remember to from now on.

The whole thing put me in such a sour mood that it poured over into my whole day.  Trying to figure out the marriage certificate stuff, me starting stupid arguments... Stuff like that.  I'm feeling a little better emotionally, though physically I'm feeling a tad ill.

I'm not really looking forward to reinstalling all my games, either.  Oblivion, Rollercoaster Tycoon, Fallout, WoW, The Sims 3, and a few others... A few other programs as well.. Not gonna be fun.  But at least (hopefully) the virus problem will be solved.

Anyway, the point is - Be careful what you download... There are people out there who get pleasure from causing other people frustration and troubles. :/

-Manda-

No comments:

Post a Comment